” A Journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.”
This quote was the first words written on my very first post one year ago this week. 89 post later (90 if you include this one) am I’m still going strong.
So what have I learned from all these posts and a year later? On reflection quite a lot actually. Here are my top 5 personal wisdom lessons from writing The Crone’s Apprentice Blog:
1. You can’t please everyone so you’ve got to please yourself. For the most part, any comments I have received for my blog have been positive but there have been a few random comments from the blogging community where they either didn’t get what I was trying to say or they just wanted to put their two cents worth in. I realized quickly that I needed to write first and foremost for myself and if others liked it, great, and if they didn’t, well those people can just pound sand.
2. I really do have something to say! In the past I have gotten myself in trouble a time or two for being too opinionated. I have since learned that as long as my opinions hurt no one, I have every right to have them. (thank you maturity and wisdom) There is always that fear when you have committed to write regular posts on a blog that you will run out of things to say. I have been amazed how easily I have been able to access my creativity just by keeping my mind open and let the ideas come through.
3. Perfection is for procrastinators. Writing 90 blog posts in a year and having a life as well doesn’t give you a lot of leisure time to re-write, edit or perfect each sentence or phrase. Just get it out there and maybe next weeks offering will be better. Which leads me to number four’s wisdom lesson.
4. Practice really does make perfect. Along the way to my commitment of writing regular posts I realized that my confidence as a writer has gotten stronger and my writing is getting better. If you want to get really good at something, you have to do the work. That is the only way to become a master at anything. Which leads me to my final realization on this first anniversary of my blog.
5. I really like to write. I do, I really do. I hope my loyal readers continue with me to take this journey of a thousand miles that I call life, I have many more miles to go so grab a new pair of sturdy shoes and let’s get going.
5 thoughts on “One Year And A Couple Of Miles Down the Road”
You really do have a talent for this! Congrats on your first year.
I have enjoyed your writting so much over the last year Diana. You really do have a fantastic talent. I admit I have not had the opportunity to read every single entry but I will….I have read most, usually enthusiastically as soon as it hits my in box. You have made me chuckle, reminisce, cry and feel true gratitude for what life has given my family and myself. I thank you for that and I will continue to follow your writings with love. Siobhan. Xo
I am truly humbled. Thank you
Hear, hear! I’ve thoroughly enjoyed your blog, your thoughts, and your humour (as I always have!). And I agree: your writing is getting better and stronger by the post. Your embracing your wisdom is helping me embrace mine, and I bet that’s the same for many people out there.
Your old buddy,
Thank you Christine,
I am touched by your compliment.